When I first came to Shenzhen in 2011 the popular slogan caught my attention: "You are a Shenzhener as soon as you get here". Frankly, as much as I wanted to make this new place my home, for years I still felt like an outsider. I had a family, friends, and acquaintances, but no sense of belonging.
Health and Safety Information
Health and Safety Information
The health and safety information listed below is used to guide parents to understand the situations when their children should not be sent to school while they are sick. Instead, they are advised to stay at home or be sent to hospital. In addition, we also advise the situations where children should be collected and brought home.
1. A person’s normal temperature is 37°C. Children’s body temperature can be taken by a thermometer, which is the most convenient way. Each family should get a thermometer in order to monitor their child’s temperature. When the temperature goes beyond 37.5°C, it is considered as fever. There are four types of fever, which include low grade fever (37.5-37.9°C); moderate fever (38.0-38.9°C); ardent fever (39.0-40.9°C); Ultra hyperpyrexia (41.0°C or above). In such cases, children should take a rest at home or go to see a doctor directly.
2. Parents will be informed to take their children back home if they have a fever. For the benefit of the all children, they are advised to stay at home for 12 or 24 hours after their temperature become normal. Any student who has fever will be required to report to the Nurse's Office before returning to classroom.
Stomach Ache, Vomiting, Diarrhea
1. Consult the doctor if your children have a stomach ache, vomiting, diarrhea, which are persistent or severe enough to limit the child’s activity.
2. A child with diarrhea or vomiting must be sent home. Parents can keep their children at home or take them to the hospital. Children are not advised to return to school until the situation is back to normal for 24 hours.
Cold, Cough, Sore Throat
1. Children with a “mild” cold, but otherwise feeling well, may attend school. A child with a “heavy” cold, such as symptoms with headache, aching muscles, weakness, should stay at home even if there is no fever.
2. Children with a mild sore throat but no other symptoms may attend school. If white spots can be seen at the back of the throat, or if fever is present, keep children at home.
Consult your doctor if your children have eye redness, itching, painful and increased drainage or pus. Once diagnosed with conjunctivitis, children should stay at home and follow the doctor’s advice to receive treatment. Conjunctivitis is catching. Student will be sent home and must stay home until they have a doctor’s note of recovery.
If there are herpes or ulceration of the oral mucosa (about 1-3 mm in length), while children have low fever and there exist herpes in hand, foot and buttocks (about 3-7mm in length in the shape of a grain), parents should bring their children to the hospital as soon as possible. Once diagnosed as the hand, foot and mouth disease, children should stay at home and follow the doctor’s advice to receive treatment. Hand, foot and mouth disease is catching. Student will be sent home and must stay home until they have a doctor’s note of recovery.
Any student who is found to have any of the contagious conditions listed below will be sent home. Parents should notify the school nurse when a student has a contagious condition. （phone number :28894887）
Recommended Period to Stay Away from School:
7days after all the symptoms have disappeared and come back with a certificateof recovery.
After all blisters became dry and scabby or no shorter than 14 days after the chicken pox starts to seep and come back with a certificate of recovery. Immunization usually prevents this illness.
For10 days after treatment has started and discharge has ceased. Requires acertificate of recovery.
Until diarrhea and vomiting has settled.
Hand, Foot & Mouth Disease
7 days after all the symptoms have disappeared and come back with a certificate of recovery.
Until student receives proper treatment. All family members should be checked.
Until symptom free or fever-free for 48 hours without taking medication. Students who have had a fever must report to the nurse's office before returning to classroom.
For a minimum of 5 days after onset of rash. Immunization usually prevents this illness. Requires a certificate of recovery.
Until at least 2 weeks after onset of the symptoms. Immunization usually prevents this illness. Requires a certificate of recovery
After treatment is started and lesions covered. Not allowed to participate in contact sports or swimming.
Until the local health department authority or treating physician states the student
is non-infectious. Requires a certificate of recovery.
At least 72 hours after all symptoms have disappeared and with a certificate of recovery
Medication at school
Students are not allowed to carry medicine to school. Parents should write a note about the medicine if they require the school nurse to dispense medicines to their child in school hours. The details for the note are: name, class, indications of the medicine, the name of the medicine, dosage, medication time, the signature of the parent. Lastly, put the note with the medicine and let the child give them to the school nurse.
Updated health information
Children’s health condition is our first concern. It is important for the school to obtain up-to-date information of all children’s health condition. If your child has any updated health information, please contact the school clinic as soon as possible(phone number:28894887).
Should your child feel unwell and need to apply for leave, please submit your leave application through Manage-Bac (leave application for the same day should be lodged by 8am) and briefly describe the health condition of your child. Please follow this procedure: log onto the system using your account and password à click “Attendance” on the upper left corner à click “Attendance Excusal” on the upper right corner à input details on specific interface, such as date, duration and reason for the leave (in the “reason” column, please describe the current condition of your child as well as the length of such condition, such as: with fever, running nose, started yesterday)
To avoid children with food allergies, please try not to let children bring snacks to school(except for special cases). We will arrange snacks for the children according to the actual situation.